10/12/2011 - 10 cities that whet travelers' appetites
We like food. We like Asheville making these lists!
TripAdvisor, the website powered by user-generated reviews, has named its 2011 Travelers' Choice Food and Wine U.S. Destinations. According to TripAdvisor, these spots were determined "based on the most highly rated food and wine destinations by travelers in TripAdvisor reviews." The 10 winners, and why they were chosen:
1. New Orleans: "For lunch and dinner ... choose from an almost bewildering array of options, from Cajun or Creole specialties to BBQ to some of the best French food you can find outside France."
2. Napa, Calif.: "Everyone knows Napa as a wine destination, and it lives up to the hype."
3. Chicago: "No matter your budget, this is a perfect foodie town."
4. Charleston, S.C.: "If you're craving homestyle Southern food, Charleston is a great place to get it."
5. San Francisco: "Visitors can explore Chinatown, take a gourmet food-focused walking tour, splurge on the tasting menu at Restaurant Gary Danko (currently ranked No. 1 on TripAdvisor)."
6. New York City: "Name a food, any food -- you can get it somewhere in NYC."
7. Savannah, Ga.: "Visit Savannah for amazing BBQ, shrimp and grits, shad roe, boiled peanuts, oysters and much, much more."
8. Santa Fe, N.M.: "We hope you like chili peppers, as you'll encounter a lot of them (of both the green and red varieties) in Santa Fe."
9. Las Vegas: "Nowadays, Las Vegas' high-end casinos feature restaurants from some of the world's most celebrated chefs."
10. Asheville, N.C.: "If you're into eating locally and supporting sustainable agriculture, go to Asheville -- and eat, eat, eat."