11/3/2009 - Top 10 Holiday Outings in Asheville for 2009
The holiday season this year in Asheville will be especially busy with plenty to see and do. Here are the Top 10 Asheville Holiday Outings according to www.RomanticAsheville.com, an online travel guide to this Blue Ridge Mountains area.
1. Christmas at Biltmore Estate: This is Asheville's biggest holiday event. Starting on November 6, America's largest home is decked out in festive finery. Candlelight Evenings are especially magical.
2. Downtown Asheville: Make holiday shopping more fun and relaxing while finding truly special gifts. Browse 200+ local shops and 30 art galleries. For a break, stop at one of the 50 restaurants or many coffee shops. Don't miss the "Seasonal Sizzle" fireworks downtown at 7 PM on December 5, 12 and 19.
3. Gingerbread Houses at Grove Park Inn: For a real treat, see the amazing display of gingerbread houses from the National Gingerbread House Competition at the famous Grove Park Inn Resort on November 18-January
4. Biltmore Village: Located across from the entrance to Biltmore Estate, the Village is home to more than 40 unique shops. Visit the first weekend of December for Dickens in the Village.
5. Art: Asheville is a mecca for artists, so this is the place to find
one-of-a-kind gifts. In addition to the galleries downtown and Biltmore
Village, head to the Folk Art Center and the River Arts District.
6. Antiques: The best area in Asheville to find antiques is the Biltmore Antiques District with 13 stores within a mile and a half of the Biltmore Estate.
7. Winter Hiking: For the best views of the year, take a winter hike. With leafless trees, cool temperatures, less crowds and frequent bright blue skies, it may become your favorite time of the year to hit the trail.
8. Holiday Saving Packages: Stay in a home away from home, complete with the sights, sounds and smells of the holidays, at elegant bed and breakfast inns, many with special deals and packages.
9. Cabin Fever: For a quiet retreat from the holiday madness, escape to a romantic cabin or cottage.
10. Holiday Events: Catch one of the many holiday events in Asheville, from the Nutcracker to the Holiday Pops.